1. SSDD #1 - a popular expression these days is "same stuff, different day" (or words to that effect...). This expression is often shortened to "SSDD". And so it is with Iran.
What I find especially amusing, shall we say, is various prominent members of the world community telling Israel not to strike Iran, to let diplomacy and sanctions work. It is not up to me to determine the best course of action for Israel (I am no less confused than I was in last week's posting), but at the same time, I think that it takes a lot of chutzpah for the US, Russia and so on to be telling Israel how to look after itself and its citizenry (which, in case anyone forgets, includes a very significant Arab minority, as well as Christians and people of other faiths).
Should Israel tell the US not to hunt down those who wish it harm and have exhibited their ability and willingness to do so? Should Israel tell the Russians not to worry about terrorists from Chechnya when they conduct suicide attacks on the Moscow subway line or the attack on a school in Beslan. Should Israel tell the UK not to worry about the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands, located some 7,913 miles from London (let alone what went on in Northern Ireland?).
The reality is that Iran has repeated and very publicly threatened Israel with destruction. By all appearances, the Iranian theocracy is actively seeking the ability to do so through nuclear weaponry. Why is Israel of all nations supposed to sit around and wait for itself to be destroyed? Why is it permissible for a member of the United Nations to publicly pledge the annihilation of another member of the United Nations?
Some people tell me that Iran is developing nuclear power to meet domestic power needs. Some people tell me that Iran doesn't really mean what it is saying; that it is all some sort of international political game.
My response is to quote Roger Daltrey singing in "I Can See For Miles" (The Who's hit from 1967) , "well, that's as may be" - but whatever one says or thinks about Israel, it stands up for itself and sends its own children to do what has to be done to protect itself - so I think that everyone (who, by the way, are largely sitting in the cheap seats) should just back off and let Israel do what it thinks it has to do in this situation. I'm absolutely sure that whatever it does, it will do so in a manner that pretty much every other nation in the world could only aspire to emulate. Clear?
- The Rosett Report » Wow, What Those Crazy Iranians Will Do for Electricity
- Faster, Please! » Dear General Dempsey
- UN Report Says Iran Increasing Nuclear Program
- Iranian Scientists’ Goals Should Be No Secret « Commentary Magazine
- Leslie H. Gelb: The Iran-Washington Conspiracy? - Print View - The Daily Beast
- Iranian Scientist's Wife Says Husband Sought Annihilation of Israel - Jeffrey Goldberg - International - The Atlantic
- Iran nuclear talks a failure, says IAEA World news guardian.co.uk
2. SSDD #2 - and then there's Syria.....
- What The Madness of Syria's Assad Reveals About Israel – Tablet Magazine
- Iran Knows More About Syria Than Obama
- THE DAILY STAR :: News :: Middle East :: Syria's Alawites to fight to death for power: analysts
- The Saudis Want to Arm an Insurgency « Commentary Magazine
- We Can’t Watch Syria From the Sidelines « Commentary Magazine
3. I Apologize To The UNSC - UN Security Council condemns terror attacks on Israeli diplomats - Haaretz Daily Newspaper Israel News
4. Russia - Professor Barry Rubin asks What is Russia Doing In The Middle East?
5. I Don't Even Know What To Say... - Mormons posthumously baptise Anne Frank - Americas - World - The Independent. I guess I'll have to rely on Stephen Colbert - Watch Stephen Colbert Convert All Dead Mormons to Judaism
6. Not Really On The Jewish Calendar - the Daytona 500, that is - Racing for Israel at Daytona « Commentary Magazine
7. Automatons, Robots, Whatever - watch the video on this link - forget for a moment the utter crap the protesters are chanting - is it just me or do these people just sound like brainless kool-aid drinking morons? If the Kool-Aid fits....
8. Jews In Sports - In Germany, a Jewish Hockey Player Chooses the Future - NYTimes.com and Houston School Makes State Hoops Final Four – The Jewish Daily Forward
9. Sacha Baron Cohen - I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but this article makes an interesting point. And I think this video is a panic.
10. OK - Something Jewish - Herman Wouk, famous for The Winds of War, also wrote This Is My God
11. Jewish Music #1 - The Jewrythmics
12. Jewish Music #2 -
13. TV, Guide! - Leil Leibowitz weighs in on The Simpsons and Downton Abbey
14. It's That Time Of Year Again - just in case you were wondering, here are some good points in case you have to deal with this (sadly) "born in Canada" disgrace.
15. They Are Only Throwing Rocks - what's the big deal? I received this from a friend in Israel - this incident took place very close to where he lives near Yerushalayim. You don't have to understand the Hebrew (I don't) to understand this.
16. The Heck With Wall Street - Invest in Israel Instead
17. Need Some Cool Jewish Gear? - I knew that Jews were prominent in the union movement, but this is wild!
18. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - for all you rock and roll types, this is from one of the best live concerts ever (IMHO):



Re Sacha Baron Khomeini's complaints. Iran won best foreign film. Quebec and Israel were the contenders.
ReplyDelete